Borders and land borders: Canadian and Mexican citizens with valid U.S. work permits are exempt from restrictions on the closure of land borders. You can continue to cross the border to work in the United States. These authorizations for visa holders authorized to work in the United States are not limited to essential workers in the health care or agri-food industry. In addition, border workers appear to be exempt from the mandatory 14-day self-quarantine in Canada, which facilitates cross-border travel for these workers. As a reminder, air travel to the United States remains permitted, although travel to Canada is limited for non-discretionary travel, as the Canadian coronavirus government (COVID-19) has posted: travel restrictions, exemptions and advice. Some examples of non-discretionary travel objectives include: work and education; Support for critical infrastructure services and supply chains; Health, immediate medical care, safety and security. For visa applicants, it is generally necessary to give interviews with certain exceptions below. Consular officials may request the questioning of any visa applicant. The NAFTA Professional (TN) non-immigrant visa allows citizens of Canada and Mexico, as NAFTA specialists, to work in the United States in pre-agreed business activities for U.S. or foreign employers.

Permanent residents of Canada and Mexico cannot apply for a TN visa to work as NAFTA professionals. Select TN NAFTA Professionals on the USCIS website to learn more about immigrant-free TN status. U.S. denounce U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) You must schedule a date for your visa interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country in which you live. You can schedule your interview at another U.S. Embassy or consulate, but note that it may be more difficult to qualify for a visa outside the country in which you live. Revalidation Visa: Under the Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) Regulation, some temporary visitors, non-immigration visas that have expired and wish to return to the United States, be abandoned in the United States if they meet certain requirements, including travel to Canada, Mexico or some neighbouring islands (only F and J non-immigrants) and have a valid and non-expired CBP registration or I-94 registration card.

A non-immigrant should consult an immigration lawyer before travelling, but this provision first facilitates travel for Mexican citizens who must travel to their home country of Mexico.